Friday, April 11, 2014

Professor Morrison's Lollipop - Gypsy Lady (1968)

This is an unusual record for sure.  Listen to it first and then I'll explain why it is that way.



A nice, hauntingly beautiful acoustic tune, isn't it?  Seems like no one's there but the singer and his guitar.

Now look at the production credits.  That's right - those tricksters Kasenetz and Katz are behind this.  Their work should be more obvious on the power-pop/bubblegum A-side, "You Got The Love".  But this sounds nothing like the psychedelic pop they were known for.

One other thing they are known for is lifting other artists' recordings to use on B-sides.  See the Ohio Express's "Zig Zag," or the reversed backing track to Jerry and Jeff/Kasenetz-Katz Singing Orchestral Circus's "Poor Old Mr. Jensen,"; or 1910 Fruitgum Co.'s "Pow Wow," actually the Flying Giraffe's "Bring Back Howdy Doody" in reverse.  That said, I think it's somewhat likely that this is someone else's recording.  The somewhat lo-fi nature of it, plus the rather abrupt ending, lead me to believe that it might be some sort of demo record. 

If anyone has more information on this B-side, shoot me a comment and let me know.  It's a terrific song and I'd like to know the story behind it.

3 comments:

  1. This song - the exact same recording, as near as I can tell - appears on the album by The Queen's Nectarine Machine, "The Mystical Adventures of Roving Tarot Gamble," also a Super K Production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verrrry interesting...I'm not familiar with The Queen's Nectarine Machine, did they perform anything that sounded like this, or was it typical Super K bubblegum fare?

      Delete
  2. I found out the writer, John Palmes (not credited on certain pressings), was shopping around a demo of another song and happened across the K-K producers who turned it down but picked this song from him. He's got a website and is still active from what I've seen.

    ReplyDelete